(Editor’s notice: 2nd in a collection)
Following crossing the river, Richard Taylor’s detachment traveled 4 miles and camped in the vicinity of the city of Dallas, which was located at the campgrounds of current day Chester Frost Park. There was a substantial spring there — Dallas Spring — now under h2o. Centered on the area of the spring, the trail and mileage figures, it appears the campsite was in the space of the current day Chester Frost Park fishing pier.
Rev. Daniel Butrick wrote of some drunken white gentlemen coming into the camps from the neighborhood. The only close by neighborhood was Dallas.
Taylor was in familiar territory in the Dallas space. Records clearly show that he experienced after owned 640 acres (a person sq. mile) where by Chester Frost Park is positioned. Below the Calhoun Treaty of 1819, the Cherokee Nation ceded 6,000 sq. miles of its territory to the federal authorities. Under phrases of the treaty, some Cherokee leaders had been granted 640-acre reservations. Fox Taylor, Richard’s brother, obtained a 640-acre reservation that provided most, if not all, of what is present working day Chester Frost Park. He transferred ownership to Richard, and Richard leased it to early white settler Asahel Rawlings until finally 1831, then sold it to him. Whilst leased, a log courthouse was constructed, and Dallas served as the county seat until 1840, when it was moved to Harrison. At Dallas, the white man’s seat of justice sat on house owned by a Cherokee.
Just after camping one particular evening in close proximity to Dallas, Butrick wrote on Nov. 2 the detachment traveled 6 miles to the foot of Walden’s Ridge. They arrived at the minor town of Poe’s Crossroads, afterwards to grow to be Daisy. The street traveled evolved as Daisy-Dallas Street. Its present working day spot appears to be unchanged because 1838. TVA maps display that the western conclude of Albemarle Drive was aspect of the unique Daisy-Dallas Highway. Aspect of it is under water eastward from Albemarle toward Chester Frost Park.
The sensible put for this campsite would have been about Poe’s Tavern and Poe’s Cemetery southward towards existing day Harrison Lane. There had been at least two springs in the place (1 getting Poe’s Spring), a important require for the detachments.
On Nov. 4, Butrick explained Saturday night time, “Final night was quite rainy, so that we could scarcely continue to keep dry in our small carryall, and many of the Cherokees, obtaining no tents, were being soaking moist, lying on the damp ground.”
The Taylor detachment spent three nights — Friday, Saturday, and Sunday — camped at Poe’s Crossroads (Daisy).
On Nov. 5, Butrick wrote, “We started off very early, with br. McPhaerson. His waggon prospects the way for the full detachment. We soon came to Walden’s ridge, and ascended it, a steep mountain about a person mile & fifty percent from the bottom to the best. Ascending this hill, Small Broom’s wagon broke, & he was obliged to prevent & repair service it. Two or a few other households also stopped, to return and bury an aged relative, who experienced been extensive sick. When passing that slim & risky element of the highway on the aspect hill, her waggon turned in excess of & damage her so that she died soon just after, not becoming ready to be moved but a handful of rods.”
The internet site of this grave is unknown, as are most together the Trail of Tears. It is probable, even possible, that the burial took position at Poe’s Cemetery, which existed in 1838.
The detachment traveled about 8 miles and camped on the mountain, in the vicinity of a home, “from whence we drew provisions.” Eight miles is about halfway throughout Walden’s Ridge. (All through the Civil War, there was an military camp in close proximity to “Reynolds” homestead, which was about halfway across the mountain and experienced the only drinking water supply.) The highway utilised was Poe’s Turnpike, which was chartered in the early 1830s.
“About working day we started off to descend the mountain, and traveled 10 miles to the foot of Cumberland mountain, and used the night in the Vale of Sodom, generally termed Sequache Valley. Right here the people have been wicked exceedingly, and collected in from every quarter.”
The detachment adopted Hill’s Turnpike to the McMinnville region. From McMinnville, they adopted the Northern Route taken by the other nine detachments. They had been in their sixth working day of journey. Their 1,000-mile journey and the brutal winter were being just commencing.
In summary, two detachments totaling about 1,900 people, largely Cherokees, passed via Hamilton County in late 1838 on the Trail of Tears. This Northern Route was selected a Nationwide Historic Trail by Congress in 1987.
The Richard Taylor Detachment Route as a result of Hamilton County is now marked with 73 National Historic Path symptoms.
Carlos Wilson, a retired Hamilton County engineer, has Cherokee ancestors and is a Path of Tears researcher. For far more, visit Chattahistorialaassoc.org.